To launch extensive awareness programmes for blood banking services including donor motivation, so as to ensure adequate availability of safe blood.
- Efforts shall be directed towards recruitment and retention of voluntary, non-remunerated blood donors through education and awareness programmes.
Enrolment of safe donors shall be ensured.
- There shall not be any coercion in enrolling replacement blood donors.
- The replacement donors shall be encouraged to become regular voluntary blood donors.
- Activities of NGOs shall be encouraged to increase awareness about blood donation amongst masses.
- All blood banks shall have donor recruitment officer/donor organiser.
- Each blood centre shall create and update a blood donor’s directory which shall be kept confidential.
- In order to increase the donor base specific IEC campaigns shall be launched to involve youth in blood donation activities.
State/UT Blood Transfusion Councils shall recognise the services of regular voluntary non-remunerated blood donors and donor organisers appropriately. National/State/UT Blood Transfusion Councils shall develop and launch an IEC campaign using all channels of communication including mass-media for promotion of voluntary blood donation and generation of awareness regarding dangers of blood from paid donors and procurement of blood from unauthorised blood banks/ laboratories. National / State / UT blood transfusion councils shall involve other departments / sectors for promoting voluntary blood donations.
- Rigid adherence to donor screening guidelines shall be enforced.
- At blood donation camps, appropriate attention shall be paid on donor enrolment and screening in accordance with national standards instead of number of units collected.
- A Counselor in each blood centre shall be appointed for pre and post donation counseling.
- Result seeking donors shall be referred to a Blood Testing Centre (BTC) for post donation information and counseling.